highlyeccentric: Sir Not apearing-in-this-film (sir not appearing)
[personal profile] highlyeccentric
Age: 22
Where you grew up (Ages 0-18): Bit north of Newcastle, Australia (with stints in Perth, Wagga, and western sydney before the age of six)

1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks: A creek (pronounced creak); possibly a stream, if I'm writing, but not normally in spoken discourse.

2. What the thing you push around the grocery store is called: A trolley. Or "you bastard".

3. A metal container to carry a meal in: The only metal container I might carry a meal in would be a thermos. My lunch box is plastic, my lunch bag is insulated fabricy stuff. Currently I carry my lunch in a library bag, so.

4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in: I don't cook bacon and eggs (as [livejournal.com profile] jumpthesnark and [livejournal.com profile] apiphile  have pointed out, this question carries all kinds of interesting cultural assumptions about what we eat and how we cook it). But if you cook bacon and eggs in my house, I'd find you a frying pan to cook it in. You could also grill the bacon (in a griller) or boil the eggs (in a saucepan).

5. The piece of furniture that seats three people: Lounge, if it's in my parents house/ is leather / is fancy-lookin'. Couch, in most other cases. Sometimes a sofa, particularly if it folds out into a bed (these might also be fold-out-couches, depending on my whims).

6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof: Gutter and drain pipe.

7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening: Verandah if it's on the first floor, especially if the first floor is raised above ground level; balcony if it's on a higher level, or is small, or is uncovered; patio if it's on ground level and is paved. Porch if it's out the front of the house, especially if at ground level and paved (if raised and made of wood, it's a front verandah). Maybe a deck if it's particularly wide, uncovered or partially uncovered, and quite recently built.

8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages: soft drink

9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup: Waffles! Or pancakes, but they're not normally breakfast food for me.

10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself: As [livejournal.com profile] jumpthesnark  and [livejournal.com profile] apiphile  have pointed out, a sandwich IS a meal. A long sandwich is usually on a roll, so it's a roll. If it's purchased from an american chain store, it is permissible to call it a sub.

11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach: Boardshorts, preferably. Wetsuits, if they're surfers. Budgie smugglers if they're Tony Abbot / Peter Debnam / other people who should know better. Speedos if the wearer has a legitimate reason for showing off their junk (ie, they're a surf lifesaver or competitive swimmer). "Swimmers" as a general term.

12. Shoes worn for sports: Joggers; or some sport-specific term such as soccer boots, running shoes, ice skates, etc.

13. Putting a room in order: Tidying. If you also clean it, then cleaning.

14. A flying insect that glows in the dark:
Uh... a firefly? They don't exist in Australia, whatever they are.

15. The little insect that curls up into a ball: SLATERS. My brother used to stalk them and eat them, before he could even walk. I don't know what insect the question is supposed to refer to, but I'm thinking of isopods, members of the phylum Crustacea.

16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down: See saw, or if it's those weird swing things which have rubber seats which look like toilet plungers, "those things". I think I used to call it a "hunchback swing" as a kid, since the action of my mum pulling on my brother's end of the swing thing to make it go up and down reminded me of the Hunchback ringing bells in the Disney movie.

17. How do you eat your pizza: By hand.

18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff: If they put up signs saying "come buy my stuff from my house on X date", a garage sale. If they just put up signs saying "STUFF", then, uh, it's called "putting up signs to sell your second-hand stuff". When a group of private citizens get together for this purpose (eg, members of a Scout or Guide group), it might be a garage sale (if in a building with all profits to the organisation) or a car boot sale (if sold individually out of the car boot, with individuals taking the money).

19. What's the evening meal?: Dinner.

20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are: Australian houses have neither furnaces nor, normally, basements. I think there might be common terminology for the room on the ground floor of a Queenslander, (a Queenslander is a house built on stilts, to avoid flooding; some have a ground-floor room which might be used for storage, or a rumpus room or something, but presumably not for storing valuables, since it's going to get flooded), but I do not know what this word is.

21. What do you call the thing from which you can drink water in public places: A bubbler. Sometimes "drinking fountain", especially on council signs.
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.


highlyeccentric: Sign on Little Queen St - One Way both directions (Default)

October 2017

1 234 56 7
15 161718192021

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 22nd, 2017 11:59 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios